An Overview for the Newcomer
Simple and unstructured, Green Drinks is a chance to meet monthly to chat, debate, connect and socialize over drinks with others passionate about the environment and sustainability.
Many people have made friends, found employment, done deals, developed ideas, and experienced serendipity at these events. Green Drinks attracts a lively mixture of professionals from every sector and is active in 614 cities around the world.
Victoria’s Green Drinks has already created the largest informal network of green professionals on Vancouver Island. Since September 2006, thousands of people have either formed, friendships, found jobs, offered mutual support or built business and political opportunity.
This informal network has created positive economic, social and environmental outcomes which benefit everyone involved. That is why Green Drinks exists in Victoria.
Green Drinks International maintains a web site at this Link The site has links to every Canadian city hosting Green Drinks, including Victoria, BC.
In Victoria Green Drinks occur on the second Tuesday of every month at an agreed venue. Currently that is at Swans, a pub at the corner of Pandora and Store street.
Green Drinks has rules, but there are precious few:
* no membership fees or formal structure.
* events are simple and unstructured.
* No agenda, or other formality.
* An inclusive assembly where respect for others is not just encouraged, its expected.
* The Fixed Rule is the monthly event date. The 2nd Tuesday of the month.
* A donation is appreciated to cover our costs and allow us to continue to support the community ( It’s a no host bar).
* The only participant requirements are to meet new people, enjoy good conversation, learn a lot and have fun in the process.
* Participants fuel the continuous healthy growth of Green Drinks by inviting friends and other like-minded people.( Rarely do all the same people come each month.)
The strength of Green Drinks lies in the diversity of the people it attracts.
The following have attended previous events:
Company Presidents, CEOs, authors, film-makers, lawyers, developers, contractors,architects, mediators, teachers/coaches/guides/mentors, Many Phds and Masters students recent graduates, students, musicians, songwriters, social activists, energy efficiency experts, environmentalists, consultants, numerous civil servants, 3 ethical stockbrokers, various engineers, Executive Directors, professional fundraisers, marine and wildlife biologists, an environmental technologist, a systems person, angel investors, foresters, researchers, bankers, landscapers, composters, sustainable energy experts, railway enthusiasts, journalists, media folk, public relations people and artisans of all stripes.
[b] All participants have one thing in common: a passion for the environment, sustainability and social responsibility. To subscribe to the Green Drinks Victoria list send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org with subscribe greendrinksvictoriabc in the subject line. and become a part of the largest network of environmental “change agents” on Vancouver Island.
Green Drinks is a worldwide phenomena. In Victoria it is coordinated by Christopher Bowers.
Updated June 24, 2013